Friday 20 April 2012

Fuck Yoga!

Believe me, I've questioned it many many times. Like, why bother? To list a few of the 'negatives' of Mysore-style Ashtanga yoga; early mornings, achey body, injury, tiredness, unleashed emotion(!)... Loss of your social life(!!) loss of friends(!!) loss of who you once were(?!!) ...

Returning to practice after being in bed with tonsillitis made me think about my motivation to get up and go to yoga six mornings a week...
  1. It's a time that I devote to something greater than myself. I have a spiritual practice, more than just an asana practice.  
  2. There's a whole bunch of people that I practice with whom I cherish. Great, fun, intelligent and inspiring people. I'm blessed to know them.
  3. It makes my body more healthy. I believe I'm doing something good for myself and if I feel better, I'm more likely to be a more valuable asset to others.
  4. It focusses my mind. It really does.
  5. I have faith in this practice. 
I guess, you've got to have faith. Blind faith really. You can read/listen to other peoples' experiences but in the end, you have to believe in it yourself.

1 comment: