Saturday 28 May 2011

Setting aside my marigolds...

I was warned that MOST people who start second series give up their jobs...and what do you know, this week I handed in my resignation. How can I explain this seemingly crazy decision? My yoga teacher gave me the best possible simile, "It's like trying to clean a house that's too dirty." I'm scrubbing away but the more I scrub, the more people keep coming in with their dirty feet. It's gotten to the point where I've given up wanting to clean anymore and that's when I have to leave.

Slightly worryingly perhaps, I'm not sure I want to continue in any educational environment. I don't want to spend my days disciplining children and I'm not sure the high energy setting is good for me. More and more, I prefer quiet places. Places where people are calm and the pace of life is slower. Maybe I need to move out of London! Maybe I need to work for myself. But doing what? Hilariously, I've no concrete plans... not that there is ever such a thing as a concrete plan.

I know this:

I need inspiration.
I need to feel motivated.
I need to feel work provides joy.
I need to learn.

I've never continued with anything I thought had had it's time. I've never been one to settle for second best. I have always be one to aspire. To keep looking forward. To keep looking at the sun. To keep dreaming.

I used to be afraid. I used to not say it, hold back, don't do it, don't risk it.

Now, I've let go of the fear. Life is too short to hold back. I'm saying yes. I'm trying at everything. I'm being powerful and using my strength. I'm making (intelligent) choices. I'm being self-sufficient. I'm saying it if I want to. The gloves are off.

4 comments:

  1. Well done for having the courage to leep! I'm not so surprised, not just because you told me you might, lol! I think it's great that you did it for a while though, not just to exhaust the avenue for yourself but because you will have found resources within yourself that will be useful in whatever you do. You are amazing, you can do anything, well done for knowing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOTALLY. Thanks for all your support! I do feel hugely more resourceful. Massively in fact. Teaching has done wonders for my confidence too.

    No sleepless nights yet...and there won't be any! I'm taking control :)

    Hope to see you soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire your bravery Jen. You're young,attractive and very intelligent, you will find something that has the quiet place your heart desires.

    I think I need the same things as you. I just lack your bravery to leap, I have waited to be pushed.

    I Hope we both find them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kevin. Although, looks and youth have little to do with it(!) it's just having a bit of bottle to make a change. You too have the power to make the leap in future. Lots of people do it!

    Happy Moon Day :) and Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete