Wednesday 16 June 2010

Made of God

I feel like I can't breathe tonight - over emotional and anxious, probably 68% down to tiredness. Suddenly, I have the realization that my final school placement is coming to a FINAL end..just two days left, one quarter of that spent out of the classroom. I adore these children so much. They are pure, sweet souls. As much as I am looking forward to a class of my own, I'll miss their smiley faces and charming, loving nature. They make my long days so worthwhile and work isn't 'work'..not that THIRTY four and five year olds isn't without it's hectic moments. I really am one of THE most patient and calm people in the world (I think) to find inner peace amidst that chaos..lol.

So, what's on my mind is that we, me, you, they are made of God.

Discussing materials with one of the children I teach, aged five, I asked what her face was made out of. Being sarcastic (which works surprisingly well as a teaching method and keeps me entertained) I asked "wood, metal, plastic, glass, skin?" and she replied "NO." So, again, I asked, "What is it made out of then?" and she replied, explicably perfectly "It's made of God."

How is it that a five year old can understand that everyone is God, the same treasured being..and we adults forget?

I use 'God' as a term for every living person and thing, which are and should be treated as sacred. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we could value ourselves and others in this way? Then at home-time today, I read a story called "Grandad's Prayer of the Earth", which I'd never read before and only picked because it looked quite lengthy..and having just delivered an RE lesson, I thought it looked appropriate. The story explains how Grandad tells his Grandson that everything on Earth prays - the trees, the rivers, the moon, stars and wind. EVERYTHING. When his Grandad dies, the boys feels lonely and lost until, one day he walks in the forest and hears the prayers and then he feels close to his Grandad again. I couldn't believe the complexity of spiritualism in a children's book! But my children, being as clever as they are, understood that everything prays because everything is God and when the woods whispered it was the boy's Grandad..and "everything was just as it should be" like the boy felt by his Grandad's side.

"A bird prays when it sings the first song of the morning
and it prays in that silent moment
just before it sings.
And the robin's last song at sunset
is an evening prayer.

"All the beings of the world pray,"
said my Grandad,
"as they slip through the forest
or sparkle in the water...
as they climb mountain-sides
or soar into the clouds
or burrow into the earth.

"Each living thing gives its life
to the beauty of all life
and that gift is its prayer."


Anyway, enough spirituality for Wednesday..


INHALE

EXHALE

You are God. Amen and Nameste.

Mysore in the morning! WOOP.

4 comments:

  1. I. Love. This. Really really. Have been meaning to write something about some of this stuff for ages but can't seem to put it into words in a satisfactory way...
    see you in the morning - I may have to leap off my mat to say goodbye if we don't coordinate in our timings :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I may cry on Friday when I leave them (or at least now in the privacy of my room!)..and tomorrow when I say goodbye to you! Albeit for not much longer than a week, it will feel so strange to be away from London. I suppose, I am kinda hoping that I have touched their lives a tiny bit as they have touched mine with gems such as this and provoking my own thought.

    See you bright and breezy :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. With dedicated, enthusiastic & inspirational young teachers like you I'm sure the kids have a bright future.

    I don't remember being read story's like that when I was 5, more into Paddington Bear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember stories like that either! More "God is watching you!" freaky RE..

    Thank you for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete