Monday 26 July 2010

The Bikram Challenge

I've only ever really been taught Ashtanga, bit of Hatha and recently one class of Yin Yoga. Ashtanga is definitely 'my' (form of) yoga. I have for a while wanted to try Bikram yoga though and with time on my hands I'm thinking WHY NOT?! I LOVE feeling heat and *really* sweating and I already sweat A LOT during Ashtanga so I'm intrigued as to what will happen to my body when practicing some yoga postures in a purposefully heated room! Saturated is the answer. So after speaking to lots of yogis and yoginis this weekend, I decided to take the plunge and give it a go this morning. Having never been before, I can take advantage of a month's unlimited classes at a very reasonable price..cheaper than a gym. Which is how I'm viewing this class, as a non-spiritual exercise to perhaps complement my Ashtanga practice whilst giving me a good workout.

Okay so here's my honest opinion of my first experience.

HOT.
NOT EASY.

I didn't really find the postures difficult but breathing in the heat was..and I suppose that is going to be the challenge for me. I thought the teacher *could* have perhaps given some easier alternatives to some postures or the option to rest as I think for a beginner or an unfit person the class would be VERY hard. But in her defense, she did keep reiterating to listen to your own body and not to push if it wasn't appropriate to. My heart was racing after the standing sequence anyway and I'd consider myself to be fit! It was nice that she did note that she did have two beginners in the class and called our names so she was aware who we were.

One thing I particularly didn't like was that the sequence of postures didn't seem to counteract/balance each other. So after backbends, no forward bends to ease my back out. I did one anyway. LOL.

The HUGE bugbear I have with the Bikram studio is actually the walls of mirrors! Five years ago or less, I don't think I would have been able to mentally cope with looking at myself in those mirrors, my internal voice would have been so critical of my shape that I would have left the room highly depressed. Not the case today. I did notice my shape is changing though..especially my shoulders! &if I'm being honest, I'm hopeful that Bikram will help to reduce some body fat without having to go for a run or give up cake. The communal showers which I washed comfortably in also affirmed that I am no longer bothered about how my body looks. I have ACCEPTED..and I have LET GO. So, all in all, a positive first experience I think. I'll be back tomorrow!!

2 comments:

  1. "So after backbends, no forward bends to ease my back out. I did one anyway. LOL."

    Bikram criminal after the first class!

    Glad to hear it was a positive experience, I wonder if it will affect your ashtanga practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Affected. Yes. Sooooo stiff this morning. Really not a great practice. So NO Bikram today..and i'll venture into the hot room again when my body feels ready! I'm not jeopardizing my Ashtanga practice for Bikram. NO WAY.

    ReplyDelete