Tuesday 19 April 2011

Baking a Cake

I remember when I first moved to London, I threw out a "Book of Dreams." It was literally called this. Inside there were life lists. These were lists of wishes and wants. They were sporadically written and ranged over years. They were never very descriptive - but they acted as simple reminders of important goals.

I threw out the book in disgust with myself that I could be so selfish. That I could be so driven by my own personal success. One of those big dreams must have been 'teacher'. But now I'm here. I'm it. And you know, mostly it doesn't feel like I'm living the dream...

During post practice discussion with my lovely shala friends this morning we discussed progression onto second series. I know it's inevitable for me soon and after the workshop on Sunday, I know that the postures are accessible to me. But putting my foot behind my head, back bending, balancing on my forearms etc alone are not going to be the ingredients in my life to bake sweet success, happiness, contentment, all that. It's just another stage. The next baby step to greater control of my physical body and mind.

The shift to second series will mean nothing. It will not be a life changing event when more postures are added to my practice (and it becomes longer and harder!). As I commented earlier this week in conversation, "Practice is a means to an end." There is no destination. It just helps. Asana helps me to focus my mind through channelling the energy in the movement of my body. Practice provides a constant challenge whilst helping me to bring a sense of peace and calm to my life. It serves as a seatbelt when the motions of life are turbulent. The same can be said for meditation.

To even begin to form an understanding of how to bring more sweet stuff to life, I believe you have to look beyond posture work and deep into the depths of your mind. There, is the beauty of yoga and living. And it's the best cake you've ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment