Tuesday 5 April 2011

Bending over backwards.

When I first started drop backs, I was a bit like WHEY HEY YAY!! I've battled with my hamstrings throughout the rest of Primary - the constant loosening and stiffening cycle, it was nice to begin something my back was naturally up for.

I think I've made every error with my drop back performance. The first time (or maybe the second) I tried landing on my own, I bumped my head. At that moment, it seemed only minor, more of an embarrassment should anyone have seen (which i knew they had!). I actually had a little swelling all day from the knock! Coming back up, i've dragged my body up every which way! Using my strength yes but often without enough power. Then there have been the times I've flown forward - up and running. I've yet to find my grace in this pose.

I've done a little analysis.

Back bending is often linked to the heart chakra. Here's a little more info on that. You see, I think my back bends totally seem to depict my approach to love and relationships. My heart is wide open - so much so that I sometimes get hurt. Not that that stops me from flinging myself into the same position over and over. Why? Because I enjoy the feeling. Umm, not being hurt but I certainly enjoy the rush. The ups and downs. The surge of blood. I feel alive amidst the essence of danger.

What I have realized though is that a bit of self-preservation can go a long way. So, I'm aiming for greater control in both back bending and in my emotional state. No more crashing, flinging, hoping for the best. I'm using what I know, my experience. I'm using my strength and my breath wisely. Yup, sure the latter might be a lifelong process as is the subtle refinement of practice.

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a very good point...and compare & contrast, you have no fear, throw yourself into relationships, backbends, whatever - and you love the adrenaline rush; I have FEAR and too much of it, and back off from all of the above. I think we need to meet in the middle somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm banning myself from boys! ;) Actually, the same is true for my friendships. I don't hold back! I just expect that I will be received graciously... Hmm, I don't know any other way to be someone's friend/lover, guess I will have to learn?! Maybe patience is key here too. I can't always get what I want right now.

    *sigh* ;)

    Have no fear. What's to fear? A bump? It's nothing!! The ups and downs of heartache hurt more but both are certainly manageable :)

    ReplyDelete